Monday 18 May 2015

Ed week 12: Pleasure Garden Final



With Week eleven we’re back at university again. After a little bit of a break to make the costume it’s right back to work. This week I’ve gotten back to working on the final pieces of the pleasure gardens and the nightclub. After working for some time on them before the holidays I had an idea of where I wanted to go with them and after a little break it was good to come back and look at them again.



For the pleasure gardens it was important for me to get a sense of scale, and Because I wanted to illustrate the city beyond and its relationship to the gardens themselves I decided to go for a long layout. In the end this meant I produced two different atmospheres; the gardens at dawn and dusk as I wanted to experiment with the lighting around the club.

Getting the view and the perspective right was a challenge and in the end in order to get it to a satisfactory level I decided to make a full whitebox and take it into UDK in order to really be sure I was correct. I used this whitebox again and again for several different images of the different islands as well as the main final image.


Part of this section was to design the outside of the club as well as the two areas overlap. I wanted to reflect Metropolis' design and architecture here, but the usual eight sided designs that first surfaced when I began to design the chapel did not lend themselves to the club's purpose so in the end a more convention four sided shape was decided on, with some of Metropolis' standard blue, but relying heavily on smoked glass for many of it's walls.



I also started work on the interior of the yoshiwara nightclub this week. As I intend to produce more than one final piece for that chapter I made a whitebox of the full building's interior so that I can draw over it to decide on a final layout for the club itself and move on from there to create the final images of the two areas of the club.

No comments:

Post a Comment