Tuesday 17 March 2015

Lucy: Week 8 - Rotwang, The Inventor

02/03/2015: Day 1 – Silhouettes and Photo-bashes
I stared with gathering reference and looking at the original character from the film. I decided to be obvious and research inventors. A lot of the images were old and black and white which ended up really fueling my designs. Below are the silhouettes I came up with.

I tried to steer clear of the ‘Einstein’ hair and long lab coat, but it crept in a little.

Day 2 – Face photo-bash’s
I find with certain characters, that the face heavily influences the overall look of the character. After doing a few silhouettes, I decided to take the face of the actor from the original film, and build on it to make a range of faces. I photo-bashed facial features and began to explore the look of my version of the inventor.

I liked the idea of facial hair so I explored different types. This lead to more unique hair styles as well as the facial hair, which created some interesting looks.


I think i’ll pick a couple and use them for clothes photo-bashes to  see which look works the best.

Day 3 – clothes photo-bash’s
I used the silhouettes I created to then photo-bash clothes over the top, to create the overall look of the character. At this stage of the project, I have a lot of reference from previous characters. So I have an example of what the clothes should resemble.

We liked both number 2 and number 3. The apron of number 3 gave me an idea for the story of the inventor character. He was once part of the elites. He would make the tech that’s used throughout metropolis, but he now resides in the workers residential area, working away on his personal projects. Below is a combination of those 2 designs.


I liked the idea behind showing his rebellion against the elites, by using their robes as rags to clean his things with.

Day 4 – tech photo-bash
Ed really liked the collar of the final photo-bash so I decided to design some collars, below is what I came up with.


I liked the headpiece of the first design, as it seemed the most interesting. I decided to work on it further and come up with some head gear designs.


I really liked the eyepiece of the second design so I decided to add that the first. To create the final look. 

Day 5 – Colour/final concept
Now I have my final design, I started to look at colour. Seeing as there is a colour scheme set in place for the elites clothing; the overalls had to stick to those colours, as that’s what they originally were. So the other colours just had to follow and work well with the apron. Mainly blues and brown tones.

Now I just need to create a final head-shot and concept pose for this character. I’m really happy that I managed to create this character within a week and still be pleased with the result. Now I can focus on the workers city environment and finally get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment