Tuesday 31 March 2015

Ed Week 8 : Pleasure Gardens continued - And the Yoshiwara nightclub

In week eight I returned to the pleasure gardens after designing the robot, Hel. After discussing the layout of the gardens with tutors I decided to look at a more fluid way of populating the gardens. Floating platforms were eventually chosen that each contained 'rooms' of miniature garden set-ups or rooms for people to occupy of set amounts of time.

I created a final whitebox for the area which will be used in the final pieces. The floating islands are whiteboxed as well. Though I've shown 4 here there are 8 in total - a recurring number in the designs of metropolis.
sketches of the floating garden 'rooms'


The islands and the nightclub in situ










I also looked in greater depth at combining the nightclub Yoshiwara and the design of the garden; as The Yoshiwara of Metropolis mirrors it's namesake - the district of Yoshiwara in Edo (What is Tokyo today) - as a red light district and pleasure quarter of the city. Because of this the areas of the pleasure garden with garden elements are inspired by different types and areas of Japanese style gardens.

interior and exterior views of the yoshiwara nightclub
The next week, week 9 for me was one where not a lot of work was done; I spent the week preparing for the Student Roleplaying and Wargaming Nationals that I was helping to organize.

Since I was the committee member in charge of the personnel of the event there was a lot to organize and there wasn't much time for uni work. The event was really successful though!

No comments:

Post a Comment