Saturday 7 February 2015

Lucy Week 3 - Thin Man

26/1/2015 Day 1 – reference and loose ends
Today is gonna be spent dipping in and out of gathering reference imagery for the thin man (https://uk.pinterest.com/lucytstm/fmp-met-thin-man/) as well as finishing off pieces from the other projects. Mainly the catacombs and some of the final Maria pieces.
For the thin man I wanted to make him appear very stylized but still realistic. He is a henchman for the mayor of metropolis who is told to follow the mayor’s son around to keep track of him. Therefore I feel he needs to look sneaky, understated but have a slight eerie presence. I want to take the name literally and make him thin with long limbs to accentuate his snake like form.

27/1/2015 Day 2 – Silhouettes
Today I spent taking the ref I had and visualizing my ideas using silhouettes. Below are what I came up with.


After discussing the look of the thin man with Ed, she made a point that as he would be sent to the workers city to spy on Freder, he’d need to have similar clothing to those around him; whilst still displaying his superiority over them. We decided to try and show that the material of his seeming worker clothes, is actually of high quality and more saturated with colour. With this in mind, I ‘m going to go on to further iterate on the silhouettes I have.

28/1/2015 Day 3– Photobashing faces
After trying to work on the silhouettes further I couldn’t really visualize the thin man. I had an idea in my head of how I wanted him to appear but that wasn’t what I was seeing in the silhouettes. I decided that the bulk of his character would show through his facial features. I decided to photo bash some faces to help with understanding the look of the thin man.

 We liked the strong hooded but pale eyes. It had the right amount of intensity. The original thin man from the film metropolis had very distinct eyes, which felt very haunting, like they would follow you round the room. I started to use the reference I had gathered and try to sketch out ideas with the faces I’d created.

30/1/2015 Day 5 – Further sketching

I missed a day due to travelling for personal reasons, so work slowed down for the rest of the week. I managed to sketch some ideas but again none of them seem to be working. I really do seem to be struggling with this character.


No comments:

Post a Comment